What is it?
Magic Cushion significantly reduces the temperature of a horse’s hoof. Cooling begins as quickly as an hour after application and continues to cool for up to 24 hours after it is applied. This proven efficacy earns Magic Cushion the trust of top farriers.
Application of Magic Cushion is fast and easy if you’re prepared. Did we mention just how sticky it is?
- Rubber gloves
- Magic Cushion
- Vet wrap
- Impermeable layer (plastic-lined feed bag or plastic wrap)
- Duct tape (optional)
- Gauze (optional)
A diaper can be used, but never with the absorbent side towards the Magic Cushion. That will only soak the medicine into the diaper and away from the frog and sole.
You’ll want to avoid the sensitive skin of the pastern when you apply the packing material. Using just enough ensures a tidy treatment. An unwrapped, shod hoof will maintain the packing material for up to 48 hours until it wears away. For longer lasting relief, wrap the hoof. Your farrier can pack Magic Cushion under shoe pads and leave it in place for an entire shoeing cycle. They love how the frog and sole look when when they work on them.Packing a Hoof:
- Clean your horse’s hoof dry with the pick and stiff brush
- Magic Cushion is very sticky, always wear rubber gloves and only use just enough to avoid a mess
- Roll approximately a golf ball size ball depending on hoof size
- Pack/spread it over both the frog and sole of the hoof to a depth of ½ inch
Light Effect, Shod:
- If the horse is shod, put the horse’s foot down in shavings or dirt to coat the packing and your job is done
- Effect for 12 hours
- Wears off hoof in 12-48 hours
Strong Effect Shod or Unshod:
- Cut piece of impermeable layer to cover sole
- Pack hoof as above
- Place impermeable layer over the packing
- Wrap with layers of gauze if very sore (optional)
- Wrap with vet wrap
- Wrap with duct tape for durability (optional)
- Effect for up to 24 hours
- Clean out and repeat with fresh packing as needed
Finished wrap job with and without duct tape layer
Magic Cushion is a unique formula that contains both rosin and turpentine which use different solvents. If you accidentally get sticky Magic Cushion on your horse's skin and coat or other surfaces you'll want to clean it up quickly. Mineral oil is helpful in removing big pieces. Follow up with Absorbine Veterinary Liniment and a cloth to remove more. Then wash the area with dish soap. Repeat if necessary.
Hooflex® Magic Cushion® and Magic Cushion® Xtreme, which uses a higher concentration of ingredients, are both available at your local tack dealer or farm store, and are both "Show Safe."